Three weeks back we noticed that the disks on our Microsoft SQL server were filling up rapidly. Further investigation showed that the SharePoint 2010 Admin Content database had exploded from a comfortable 3GB to a whopping 173GB. This could not be right!!!
We ran a report on the Admin Content DB on the SQL server to show us the Disk Usage by Top Tables. This report showed us that the following two tables had an enormous size with many millions of records:
After some digging around in the EventCache table of the Admin Content DB we found that there were an outrages number of entries referring to the /site/Help site on our Central Admin site. It was the article of Veena Sarda (Sharepoint 2010 Internals – Series 2 ) that gave us a a hunch that one of the indexes on the help site’s lists had exploded. It would eventually be a index on a column in the Help document list.
Here is what we did to resolve this rather nasty problem:
- Go to your CA site’s help site, example http://adminurl:2010/sites/Help
- Select Site Actions
- Select View All Site Content
- Select the document library Product Help
- Select the Library option in the top bar
- Select the option Library Settings
- Select Indexed Columns under Columns
- Select the Local ID index
- Select Delete. This action can take many hours, depending on how badly the index exploded. It took me over 18 hours on a RAID-10 storage.
When the deletion task has completed, check the Disk Usage by Top Tables report on the Admin Content database again to see if they have shrunk in size. If so, please shrink the database using the the SQL Server Management Studio (Shrink a Database ). Again this can take many hours, depending on the damage.
After a good, long wait your problem with the exploded database should be resolved. I don’t know if this is a lasting solution, but a few days later the database has not grown much.
Be sure to recreate the index on the Locale ID column again.
Repeat the same steps for any of the other indexed columns on the help site, if the problem is not completely solved.
To know more about database management, start going here  to see additional data development information.
Incoming search terms:
- – dbo eventcache  – The Execute method of job definition Microsoft Office Server UserProfiles UserProfileImportJob (ID 5b166f11-6dc9-4659-a95c-a85684b6fefe) threw an exception More information is included below Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object  – The Execute method of job definition Microsoft Office Server UserProfiles UserProfileImportJob (ID 27de54e6-3086-4fef-b8de-8cf03804678a) threw an exception More information is included below Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object  – sp 2010 big db problem  – SharePoint Foundation 6398 UserProfileImportJob operantion not valid  – sharepoint eventcache table size recommendation  – sharepoint content db clustered index huge  – sharepoint 2010 dbo namevaluepair